A meeting was held in Cape Town on 2/12/2006, to establish Diabetes in Asia Study Group, to promote awareness of diabetes, to encourage research in the characterization of diabetes within the regions, to promote exchange of opinions, and foster advocacy. The group was a continuation of the Diabetes in Asia Conferences, a movement which was started in 1999.
Individuals within the fields of diabetes care, research, and advocacy will be eligible to be members of DASG.
Individuals wishing to be members should make a written application to the secretary, which will then be considered by the committee for approval. The annual membership fee will be 15 $, payable to DASG and Lifetime Membership Fee is $100.
Strategies to achieve the objectives
- Holding periodic meetings and conferences.
- Conducting studies to characterize the state of diabetes within the Asian Regions.
- Promoting the publications of activities and guidelines.
- Active involvement of governments and non governmental organizations.
- Seeking active collaboration with national and international groups such as (IDF and WHO).
- Encouraging the development of human resources to increase our capacity to fight diabetes in Asia.